By nate.landas - Last updated: Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Learn how to build as great stance with University of Illinois Associate Head Coach and 2013 Amateur Wrestling News Division I Coach of the Year, Mark Perry. In this video, Perry discusses the important of stance and how it affects your offense and defense.
Coach Perry begins by addressing your position on the mat. He explains that you always want to be six to eight inches apart from your lead leg peck to your lead leg knee. A mistake commonly seen is when wrestlers get fatigued and stand straight up. Coach Perry explains that if your hands are not able to touch the mat at all times, that is a good indication that you are not low enough. Having the correct position is essential at every level of wrestling.
This video came from Championship Productions’ DVD, Formula for Success: Winning the Neutral Position. To view more wrestling videos from America’s top coaches and wrestlers, click here.
By nate.landas - Last updated: Tuesday, November 19, 2013
University of Illinois Associate Head Coach, Mark Perry, has a rare unique perspective on wrestling. His uncle is legendary Oklahoma State Coach John Smith; in addition, Coach Perry wrestled in high school at Blair Academy under Jeff Buxton and finally learned the “Iowa way” of the sport from Tom Brands while wrestling in college. Now is your chance to learn new and helpful drills for yourself or to teach your wrestlers!
Next Generation Wrestling Drills
- Discover drills that will train your wrestlers to avoid opponent’s short offense and go-behinds
- Learn how to teach your wrestlers to chain wrestle from one offensive position to another
- Discover a system for fighting to good positions on the bottom
Formula for Success: Winning the Neutral Position
- Learn how to incorporate the Oklahoma State and the Iowa style of wrestling to create a complete wrestler from the neutral position
- Learn how to get to the tie position without sacrificing your position or attack
- Discover the keys to short offense and how to score from an opponent’s attack
- Learn how to teach effective motion for an outside wrestler and take advantage of speed and quickness
By mike.oconnell - Last updated: Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Championship Productions would like to congratulate two-time NCAA champion Mark Perry as he joins the Fighting Illini coaching staff as an associate head coach! Perry comes from Cal-Poly where he served as co-head coach last season and as an assistant coach in 2009-10. Perry won a pair of NCAA titles at Iowa, taking the crown at 165 pounds in 2007 and 2008. He was a four-time All-American from 2005-08 and won a Big Ten title in 2007. He helped lead the Hawkeyes to an NCAA team national title in 2008 and was a team captain from 2005-08. Championship Productions is proud to have partnered with Mark Perry on multiple instructional wrestling DVDs. You can check out his expertise by clicking on the link: Mark Perry Instructional DVDs