By nate.landas - Last updated: Thursday, March 14, 2013
Kerry McCoy, Head Coach at the University of Maryland and 2X Olympian in Freestyle, demonstrates some excellent techniques to improve your wrestling. Watch and learn as McCoy covers his version of a near arm chop breakdown. He gets set in the top position in a way that shifts the weight onto the opponent’s hands and emphasizes having one’s feet in a position to drive.
First, twist and pull in on the near elbow. Next, pry the far thigh and drive with your feet to put maximum chest pressure on the opponent’s back, then drive the rear knee to get the weight forward and to drive the hips flat.
Take a look at an additional clip from the DVD, Heavyweight Technique: Breakdowns, Pins and Escapes. Also, view other Kerry McCoy DVDs from our massive Wrestling DVD collection!
By nate.landas - Last updated: Monday, January 14, 2013
Coaches sometimes struggle with heavyweight instruction. With Kerry McCoy’s help, coaching your heavyweights has been simplified. Kerry McCoy has been a premier heavyweight wrestler and coach in the United States since the early 90’s. Look at the four Wrestling DVDs Coach McCoy did with us:
Heavyweight Technique: Control Ties from the Feet
- Learn to master three control the ties that are common in the upper weights of wrestling to dominate the position
- Increase the effectiveness of your attacks by moving your opponent with these solid control ties
- Learn hand fighting skills to clear opponent’s ties and score from the neutral position
- Features 3x ACC Coach of the Year and 2x Olympian Kerry McCoy
Heavyweight Technique: Breakdowns, Pins and Escapes
- Learn how to establish an edge on the mat whether on top or bottom
- Teach three breakdowns that are effective for heavyweights that are great set-ups for turns and pins
- Turn your opponent with tilts, arm bars, bottom leg cradles, leg Turks, and arm Turks
- Features 2x NCAA National Champion and 2008 US Olympic Assistant Coach Kerry McCoy
Signature Move Series: High Single Leg Takedown
- Learn drills that help develop great footwork and speed to make you much more effective on your feet
- Perform stance and motion drills as warm-ups and for conditioning
- Implement a 3-man drill to condition your wrestlers
- Features 2003 World Championships silver medalist Kerry McCoy