Oklahoma State wrestling coach, John Smith, earned his 300th career dual meet victory as Oklahoma State defeated #24 Arizona State 40-4. The win improved Smith’s career record to 300-44-5 in 20 years as head coach. Smith is the first coach in OSU’s storied history to reach 300 wins!
John Smith has won five NCAA championships at Oklahoma State. As a collegiate wrestler, he won two NCAA championships (1987 and 1988). Smith also won Olympic gold in 1988 and 1992.
The Cornell wrestling team, coached by Rob Koll, Jeremy Spates, and Matt Azevedo, became the first-ever Ivy League school to hold down the top spot in the NWCA/USA Today Division I Coaches Poll. The Big Red were a unanimous No. 1 on the 11 ballots prior to the season and finished with 275 points.
Championship Productions has produced instructional wrestling DVDs with various top 25 coaches. The complete NWCA / USA Today Division rankings are below:
1. Cornell (Coached by Rob Koll, Jeremy Spates, and Matt Azevedo)
2. Boise State
3. Oklahoma State (Coached by John Smith and Eric Guerrero)
4. Minnesota (Coached by J. Robinson)
5. Wisconsin (Coached by Barry Davis)
6. Penn State (Coached by Troy Letters)
7. Iowa (Coached by Tom Brands and Terry Brands)
9. Central Michigan (Coached by Tom Borrelli)
12. Ohio State (Coached by Tom Ryan)
13. Nebraska (Coached by Mark Manning)
16. Arizona State (Coached by Ben Askren)
17. Virginia Tech (Coached by Kevin Dresser)
19. Iowa State (Coached by Kevin Jackson)
20. Northwestern (Coached by Tim Cysewski)
22. Oregon State
23. Rutgers (Coached by Cory Cooperman)
25. Cal Poly (Coached by Mark Perry)
The University of Iowa Associate Head Coach Terry Brands and Oklahoma State University Head Coach John Smith have been selected by the USA Wrestling Freestyle Coach Selection Committee to coach the 2010 U.S. Men’s Freestyle World Team. Brands and Smith will join USA Wrestling National Freestyle Coach Zeke Jones to guide the U.S. in the 2010 World Wrestling Championships in Moscow, Russia, September 6-12.
Oklahoma State University Head Wrestling Coach, John Smith, was named the 2009 Freestyle Coach of the Year by USA Wrestling. This is Smith’s third award as he was also presented with the award in 1998 and 2000. Smith guided the United States World Team to a seventh place finish at the 2009 World Championship in Herning, Denmark.
The University of Iowa wrestling program will attempt to win their third consecutive wrestling championship in 2009. The Hawkeyes open the season ranked #1 in the USA Today / NWCA / Intermat Division I Wrestling Poll. The preseason rankings include:
1. Iowa (Coached by Tom Brands and Terry Brands)
2. Iowa State (Coached by Kevin Jackson and Chris Bono)
3. Ohio State (Coached by Tom Ryan)
4. Cornell (Coached by Rob Koll)
5. Minnesota (Coached by J. Robinson)
6. Oklahoma State (Coached by John Smith and Eric Guerrero)
7. Nebraska (Coached by Mark Manning)
9. Boise State
10. Maryland (Coached by Kerry McCoy)
11. Wisconsin (Coached by Barry Davis)
13. Central Michigan
14. Penn State
15. Indiana (Coached by Duane Goldman)
16. American (Coached by Mark Cody
17. Arizona State (Coached by Ben Askren)