By dustin.moscoso - Last updated: Wednesday, October 29, 2014
Being able to break the press effectively is vital for any basketball team. Being involved in multiple championships, Coach Jerry Petitgoue knows what it takes to beat pressure defenses. In this segment, Coach Petitgoue will show you how to score easy baskets with his 1-4 press break against the 1-2-1-1 and man-to-man defenses.
1-4 Press Break
Drill Summary: Coach shows his 1-4 press break against a diamond and one press, with both a defense and with a 5 on 0 scenario. Coach gives his players commands on whom to throw it to so they understand the movement for proper efficiency when breaking the press. Coach shows you the 1-4 against a man defense and shows his adjustments.
By nate.landas - Last updated: Wednesday, October 1, 2014
3x Wisconsin State Champion, Jerry Petitgoue, shares the State Passing Drill which his teams perform in practice every day. You can incorporate outlet passes, chest passes, and bounce passes into the drill and it requires players to maintain good spacing, good rotations, and communication.
State Passing Drill
● 5 players on the court
● Objective is for everyone to score a layup after a pass from the middle.
● Players are not allowed to dribble the ball and there must always be someone in the middle.
● Drill requires players to maintain good spacing, good rotations, and communication.
● You can work on the following passes: outlet passes, chest passes, bounce passes.
● Players start in an “x” formation on the court with a player in the middle with the ball to start.
● Player 1 (P1) in the middle then passes to one of the players (P2) close to the basket who scores and then sprints to the other end of the court. The other player (P3) close to the basket gets the rebound and makes an outlet pass to the P1 who has moved from the middle to the outlet position.
● P4, who is opposite the outlet will flash to the middle and receive a pass from P1. P4 will then pass the ball to P5 on the other end of the court. P2 will get the rebound and make the outlet to P4 and the sequence will start again.
● The player who makes the outlet pass always assumes the middle position once the drill starts.
By nate.landas - Last updated: Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Jerry Petitgoue, Cuba City High School Head Coach, breaks down his 1-3-1 defense that has led his program to multiple state championships. This defense accounts for 90% of his team’s defensive possessions as it limits open looks and creates pressure on the ball. Coach shows his plan to trap the opponent out of this defense to create uncomfortable possessions for the offense.
1-3-1 Defense Overview
Coach sets up his 1-3-1 defense and describes each position within his 1-3-1 defense. The type of player he looks for to execute that position is told in detail. Coach then describes the roles of his players within the trapping defense out of the 1-3-1. This helps create pressure and reduces the quality of possession by the offense, which also create a turnover.
By nate.landas - Last updated: Wednesday, August 6, 2014
Jerry Petitgoue, the Cuba City HS basketball coach with three state championships, 19 conference titles, and over 840 career victories, knows what it takes to score the basketball. In this clip, Coach Petitgoue will show you the Shot BuilderDrill, a fundamentally sound drill that focuses on shooting the ball with good form.
Shot Builder Drill
Set-up and Sequence:
Place three players at a hoop; each with a basketball.
Players start close to the basket and shoot with one hand, with the other hand behind their back.
Players then take a step back to the block and continue shooting with one hand.
Players take a step back further, to the elbow or 15 feet, and continue shooting with one hand.
By dustin.moscoso - Last updated: Wednesday, July 9, 2014
Being able to score quick points out of bounds can be the difference between a win and a loss. In this segment 3x Wisconsin State Championship Coach, Jerry Petitgoue, breaks down a baseline out of bounds play that can be an effective play versus both man and zone defense.
Baseline Out of Bounds Play
Drill Setup: Four players form a line on the lane line play side.