|My Account||Wish List||View Cart||Checkout|
The Cornell wrestling team, coached by Rob Koll, Jeremy Spates, and Matt Azevedo, became the first-ever Ivy League school to hold down the top spot in the NWCA/USA Today Division I Coaches Poll. The Big Red were a unanimous No. 1 on the 11 ballots prior to the season and finished with 275 points.
Championship Productions has produced instructional wrestling DVDs with various top 25 coaches. The complete NWCA / USA Today Division rankings are below:
1. Cornell (Coached by Rob Koll, Jeremy Spates, and Matt Azevedo)
2. Boise State
3. Oklahoma State (Coached by John Smith and Eric Guerrero)
4. Minnesota (Coached by J. Robinson)
5. Wisconsin (Coached by Barry Davis)
6. Penn State (Coached by Troy Letters)
7. Iowa (Coached by Tom Brands and Terry Brands)
9. Central Michigan (Coached by Tom Borrelli)
12. Ohio State (Coached by Tom Ryan)
13. Nebraska (Coached by Mark Manning)
16. Arizona State (Coached by Ben Askren)
17. Virginia Tech (Coached by Kevin Dresser)
19. Iowa State (Coached by Kevin Jackson)
20. Northwestern (Coached by Tim Cysewski)
22. Oregon State
23. Rutgers (Coached by Cory Cooperman)
25. Cal Poly (Coached by Mark Perry)
A new wrestling DVD featuring Terry Brands has been recently released. The DVD, From Folk to Free: Fundamental Techniques for Building Elite Wrestlers, provides wrestlers insight on how fundamental skills and positions can be used for success at the elite level. Brands teaches you a variety of folkstyle techniques (set-ups, takedowns, turns, pins, turks) that you can apply to freestyle matches and vice versa.
Terry Brands is an Assistant Wrestling Coach at the University of Iowa. Brands is a 3X NCAA Championship Coach (2008 – 2010), Olympic Games Bronze Medalist (2000), 2X World Freestyle Champion, and a 2 X NCAA Champion at the University of Iowa.
The University of Iowa wrestling program, led by Tom Brands and Terry Brands, crowned three NCAA champions, eight all-Americans, and won its third-straight national team title at the Qwest Center in Omaha, NE. The Hawkeyes’ 23rd NCAA team title was fueled by Matt McDonough, Brent Metcalf, and Jay Borschel’s individual championships – the first time Iowa crowned three champions since 1998! Iowa finished the meet with 134.5 team points which ranks 10th in NCAA history and ties for seventh in school history.
Tom Brands and Terry Brands have guided the Iowa Hawkeyes wrestling program to their 34th Big Ten Championship and its third straight. The Hawkeyes finished with 156.5 points and had a pair of individual champions en route to victory. Tom Brands was named Big Ten Coach of the Year for the third straight season and Iowa’s Matt McDonough was named the Freshman of the Year.
The University of Iowa wrestling program will attempt to win their third consecutive wrestling championship in 2009. The Hawkeyes open the season ranked #1 in the USA Today / NWCA / Intermat Division I Wrestling Poll. The preseason rankings include:
1. Iowa (Coached by Tom Brands and Terry Brands)
2. Iowa State (Coached by Kevin Jackson and Chris Bono)
3. Ohio State (Coached by Tom Ryan)
4. Cornell (Coached by Rob Koll)
5. Minnesota (Coached by J. Robinson)
6. Oklahoma State (Coached by John Smith and Eric Guerrero)
7. Nebraska (Coached by Mark Manning)
9. Boise State
10. Maryland (Coached by Kerry McCoy)
11. Wisconsin (Coached by Barry Davis)
13. Central Michigan
14. Penn State
15. Indiana (Coached by Duane Goldman)
16. American (Coached by Mark Cody
17. Arizona State (Coached by Ben Askren)