By nate.landas - Last updated: Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Brian Forrester, the University of Akron Throws Coach, shows you a drill that takes all of the concepts and drills, and combines them to challenge the athlete. Coach Forrester explains that the more advanced the athlete, the more advanced the drill can be.
Setup: The athlete starts in the beginning position for the shot put in the ring. The coach tells the athlete a specific position or drill. The athlete listens to the coach, and quickly accomplishes the drill. This is a good drill to simulate the reaction time a thrower has in competition.
This video came from Championship Productions’ DVD The Big Throws System. To view more track & field videos from America’s top coaches and athletes, click here.
By nate.landas - Last updated: Wednesday, January 9, 2013
We have recently released two Track & Field DVDs to work on your throws. These videos contain instruction from some of the best throwing coaches around. Become more powerful to increase the distance of your athletes’ throws in future meets.
The Big Throws System
- Discover an excellent teaching progression to help athletes connect the various movements of the rotational shot put and discus
- Use the Six C’s concept to make this complex set of movements easier to teach and learn
- Develop strategies to improve your performance at meets
Mega Drills for the Shot Put
- Build an easy-to-teach drill progression to help athletes connect the various movements of both the glide and rotational shot put
- Over 25 strength and form drills to build explosive power into your throwers
- Create coaching cues to help your athletes understand position, balance, and feel within each key position