trip.hedrick
Welcome to the Athletic Director Community!
June 21, 2004 12:55PM
Welcome to the Championship Coaches Community!

This is a place where athletic directors can gather to talk about everything related to being an athletic director! Trade tips dealing with coaches, parents and athletes, get ideas for new fundraising methods, catch up on the latest news.

If there is anything we can do for you, please post a message here, email us at info@ChampionshipProductions.com, or call us toll-free at 1-800-873-2730.
Micah
Re: Welcome to the Athletic Director Community!
September 17, 2007 08:22AM
What are some of the qualities that Athletic Directors look for in a basketball coach
John Esposito
February 05, 2008 06:04PM
I am a young and new person when it comes to running an athletic program and always looking for ways to improve. Here are a couple questions that I have for you:

1. How do you deal with those that have academic problems?

2. How do you get parents involved (Every year when your teams come down parents come also)?

3. How do you promote your program to the public and in school?

4. What are some things that you do with your program that work great?

5. How do you do fundraising for tournaments and the sports program?

6. Could you give me some ideas that a great athletic program should do or add?
Raoul
September 18, 2008 11:49AM
Winners and Personality
Tony
December 22, 2008 05:52PM
My questions centers around the job description of an athletic director? As a coach my athletic director feels that he has the authority to make decisions on the teams make-up and discipline of each players. What are the duties of a good athletic director and how can we make this work where the players know that I as the coach has the authority over the team not the athletic director.
Adam
January 18, 2009 07:30PM
Tony , If I were you i would talk with my athletic director as oppose to thinking he is going to implement something without consulting your opinion. Come up with something that would be best together. Its not about him having control but respect his/her position as well . A positive driven dept. is always better than chaos between coaches and their director .
Raoul
January 26, 2009 06:07PM
Tony
If the AD is or thinks he is a better coach than you are the only hope you have is apealing to his sense of repect. If somehow he/she can imagine his higher up stepping on his/her toes in the same way, the situation may improve.
Marcia
April 29, 2009 07:22AM
I have a great team of coaches. Fall coaches want to star their work outs and tryouts at this time of the year because our students leave for vacations in Jun and we don't see them again until September. My Spring coaches are upset because they feel that the fall coaches are interfering with their programs. Should I allow fall coaches start working now? Do they need to wait until spring season is completely over?

Thanks
Bob Svencner
Interview help!!
June 24, 2009 06:32PM
I am interviewing for an athletic director position. What are some questions I should expect to be asked by the interviewing team. I want to be prepared as possible when I interview.
Thanks in advance.

Bob
One of the best jobs in high school education is the Athletic or Activities Director position. Working with coaches, assisting athletes, and dealing with parents are challenging and rewarding experiences. Being an Athletic Administrator for over 30 years was an enjoyable and gratifying career.

Becoming an A D is a dream job for many, and there are two questions you should ask yourself before you apply for the job.

See my blog [www.adcoachingblog.com]
Todd B
March 25, 2010 10:51AM
Any ideas that may lead to increased revenues in the industry in the next five to ten years??

This is going to help me write a research paper on Athletic Directors?
Lou Bustos
September 21, 2010 08:39PM
Good evening,

I am interesting in reading your paper. I am just finishing up a Masters in Educational Leadership and will begin looking for a position soon.

Any help will be appreciated.

Lou Bustos
Saks
December 16, 2010 03:19PM
I am a teacher, a football coach, and a JV girls lacrosse coach. I have been a teacher for ten years and recently completed my administration certification. I am currently the science department chair at my school.

I am interested in becoming an Athletics Director maybe at the high school and possibly college level. I am slowly beginning to gather information on programs that would allow me to gain further knowledge in the area of sports management and sports administration. For the high school position I need my current certification in administration.

I am looking for some guidance as to what kind of education one needs to be an athletic director at the college level? Are there programs out there that are known for their sports management or sports administration courses and would allow me the best chance to move in this direction?

Any information would be great in this arena.
Thank you and have a great day!
Lonnie Kragel
February 01, 2011 04:05PM
There are a number of different avenues for men and women who want to get into athletics administration.

If you are interested in going to graduate school, then it might be worth checking into graduate assistantships (NCAA News onl-line is a good resource) where there is the opportunity to go to grad school and work in an athletics department. This is a common route as it gets a foot in the door with a department, adds some relevant work experience to the resume, while earning a graduate degree.

There are some pretty good sports administration programs around the country although a masters in business, education, communications, etc. can be equally as valuable and a bit more versatile.

It really depends on what area of interest you want to pursue in athletics (communications, marketing, fundraising, etc.).
James Foster
Re: Interview help!!
February 23, 2011 11:12PM
Over the years, I have interviewed hundreds of individuals for athletic director positions. The most effective approach to take that will ensure your objective is to illustrate genuineness.

Most applicants try to be something they are not and believe me the interview committee can easily smell a fake.

During the interview you should focus on expressing a desire to lead and to empower others.

Overall, your intended goal will be accomplished.

Good luck!

James
Steve Butler
March 05, 2011 03:06PM
[pittsburgh.craigslist.org]

16,000 sq. ft. of Portafloor Pro for sale.

Call 877-484-2349
Rich Hoffman
A question for Athletic Directors and Coaches
March 06, 2011 10:43AM
Good morning Members,

I am not sure if you may be able to provide some guidance or direct me to the correct individuals who may, but I am seeking some insight and guidance on an athletics in the schools issue.

I am a high school cross country coach in Ohio. I coach both women and men. Four years ago the school approached me about coaching, I did not apply nor approach them. They had lost their coach and came to me, so I agreed to help out because I love the sport and wanted to give back. I did not want to see the program cancelled or receive unqualified coaching. I do not work in the school, but work outside the school at a University about 45 minutes away. My work hours do not coincide with the time the school is open.

In a nutshell, recently the school changed the locks on all the doors. Depending upon who you talk to, it was either because (1) they found 3 kids playing in a gym without supervision, or (2) because a levy to build new schools failed and they eliminated 3 custodial positions to save money, and so don't want people in the buildings after hours. (They changed the locks within a day of the levy failing). It all depend son who you talk to as to what the reason is.

Consequently, I can no longer get in to check my mail, pick up letters from colleges for the students on my teams, have meetings, make photocopies for the team, conduct tasks related to fundraising, tasks related to conducting a race to race money for our scholarship, or conduct a myriad of administrative tasks associated with my position. Nor can I meet with anyone in the strength and conditioning facility to have voluntary off-season training because that lock has been changed as well.

Bear in mind, other fall sports coaches (for example, football, soccer) do have access to these things as a result of being on staff at the school. When the locks were changed, it affected the teachers and staff at the school as their keys no longer worked either. But - they are already at the school each day and have ready access to all facilities as a result.

However, their supplemental contracts to coach their sport read exactly the same as mine - that we are under contract to coach for the 2010-2011 academic year.

I have politely, and with rationale, requested a key so I can continue with my responsibilities and serve the students. The school won't even acknowledge my requests.

I guess in short, my question boils down to, legally, is there any type of equal access laws/code in athletics for situations like this?

Also, although not completely germane to this issue, but in the past year I have spent $4000 of my own money to provide supplies and equipment for the team, things that the school would not or could not supply. Supplies to host a home meet, in which the school generated $4000, uniforms, paying for an assistant, paying for his certifications, photocopies, paying for my certifications, team meals, team shirts, and on and on. Each year that I have coached I have provided at least $2000 in financial support to the program. In addition, during my tenure as coach, our team has maintained a 3.6 cumulative team GPA; 100% of our students have gone on to college (in a county where only 35% of students matriculate); half of our graduating seniors have received financial aid related to their athletic abilities; and 2 of thos ehave had their entire college education paid for by scholarship as a direct result of my contacting schools on their behalf who ultimately provided the aid (who had not been in contact with the student before). Our cross country students over the past 4 years have received over $250,000 of athletic related financial aid. My point is not sound arrogant or egotistical, but just that I feel less than appeciated by the school, and I am at my wits end with trying to figure out how to navigate our administration. I've tried being polite, rationale, patient, understanding, thorough with writtne proposals, and the response is almost always the same: silence.

Thank you for any input.

Rich Hoffman
Dena Polverari
I need help with a research paper! Please Help!
May 29, 2011 08:40AM
I am in Grad school for athletic directing. I have a min-research paper I need to do and I am looking for a topic. Can you help pleas? Here is the wrtie up.

4. Mini Research Paper: Each student will be responsible for researching, analyzing, and presenting one financial issue impacting the role of the AD at the collegiate level. 3 page paper and presentation.
chu082011
January 09, 2012 02:08AM
Dear friends

I like Welcome to the Athletic Director Community! very much.

Very useful for me.

Rgs
chu082011
January 11, 2012 08:51PM
chu082011 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear friends
>
> I like Welcome to the Athletic Director Community!
> very much.
>
> Very useful for me.
>
> Rgs

If you have some time, pls visit my blog at: Band teacher interview questions
LVH AD
January 31, 2012 06:46PM
I am an AD currently.

As budgets crunch, funding disappears, and Pay to participate swirls--have any of you heard of funding the AD position with school parking pass fees combined with Activity fees (aka PAY TO PLAY $). This is a scenario talked about in our district.
blake gallacher
February 13, 2012 04:43PM
I am a recent graduate of oklahoma baptist university in sports management, i pitched the last four years at the collegiate level and helped my team to a world series birth. I am currently attending graduate school at east central university in ada oklahoma where i am studying sports administration. My over all goal is to become an athletic director at the college level. I am currently looking for internship/ job in an athletic office. My masters program is online so i am able to go out of state if something comes up. I know its a long road ahead of me to get where i want to end up and i am willing to do what it takes to get the position i desire. If anyone has advice for me on a program that needs a good intern please email.
Blake.gallacher@my.okbu.edu
Thanks for the help
-Blake Gallacher
Adriana
i want to be an athletic director
February 29, 2012 01:04AM
i just graduated high schoo and in the recent year my high school has gone though a far share of directors. The problem was that they couldnt take the stress. ive played sports all thoughout middle school and high school and have been captain every year. i know how to talk the parents and refs. i have an idea of what it takes to be an AD from the information i got from a current AD at my college but idk what it takes to be one at a high school. my question is what steps should i take to be a high school athletic director?
tua022012
March 03, 2012 08:52AM
Thanks for your link. It's useful for our community.
Same material can be found at : Athletic director interview questions
I hope it's useful for you and you like it. Please continue sharing more information at this topic.
Best rgs!
I am interviewing for my first Head football/Athletic Coordinator positon. I have been asked to do a powerpoint on the following.

1. Brief philosophies
2. Transition plan to implement program
3. Supervision of program(s) to include both football and supervision and support all athletics as athletic coordinator).

My question is which philosophies should I really emphasize?

What is a good way to answer the transition plan to implement a program?

please email me your responses.
thu062012
July 26, 2012 08:26AM
Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.
Robert Hurtado
Re: A question for Athletic Directors and Coaches
August 13, 2012 04:29PM
I was a walk on Football Coach at a High School in California. My situation was similar in that I was asked to take over as the interim head coach when the Head coach was let go right before the season was to start. This one year stint turned into 6 great years as the Head Football Coach. I resigned at the end of last year so I could spend more time with my family and I felt a on campus coach could connect with the students if on campus. I am now on the local school board. My suggestion would be to meet one on one with the Principal and Athletic Director. If this meeting does not get you the results you need then I would ask to speak to the superintendent of the school distirct and lastly speak to a school board member. You will be surprised by how actions happen when you climb the chain of command. I know our district would love to have a coach who is willing to not only put in the time but also their own resources for the betterment of the program and student athletics. Good luck.
Matthew Kitchen
becoming an AD
August 15, 2012 07:50PM
Greetings everyone,

I am trying to break into the AD field. I have applied to over 60 schools spanning 11 states and no luck. After comparing my career experience to that of a assistant AD or an AD, I know that I am qualified to hold this position. I can only believe that I am more passionate than any other person applying for the same position at these schools. I know that I can create change, mentor and lead an athletic department. In no way am I looking at this as an easy career, but rather my calling. What advice can anyone bring to aid in my pursuit of this goal? I feel like I am at my wits end and I really need to get moving. Would anyone be interested in critiquing my cover letter and resume? I very much would appreciate any help. Thank you to whoever reads this.

Sincerely,

Matthew Kitchen
Alan Yanke
Sport Physicals
September 04, 2012 09:01PM
Do any of you use a sports physical program so that you don't have to deal with all of the paper physical?. There has got to be a better paperless way to handle physical forms. What do you use? Thanks for your help.
Jack
Re: A question for Athletic Directors and Coaches
November 04, 2012 08:57AM
Get the parents involved. They are the voice of the community, if enough show concern the athletic department will need to act. If they do not, take it a step further by directing parents to the superintendent or principle with their concerns.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 4 plus 22?