Anonymous
Vance Walberg's Offense - Memphis ran it last year...
August 22, 2006 08:16AM
Does anyone know where I can get some information on his offense? I am looking for notes, videos, or etc.

thanks.
Anonymous
August 22, 2006 09:15AM
I havent seen any videos on this but I did watch an ESPN sort of "Behind the Scenes Look at Memphis and John Callipari". In that, basically what he said they run is 5 out Open Post just looking to penetrate and kick over and over until someone gets to the rim or has an open 3. I have found the "drive and dish" concept to be simple and effective and with the athletes he gets, it works. I know most coaches like something more complicated that that but thats all it is. I know he has different entries and calls but at its core, all they do is drive and dish once, twice, three times and either dunk or shoot the 3. Hope this helps,

PL
Anonymous
August 22, 2006 04:16PM
I would also like to get notes or any information that anybody has about this offense. I saw John Calipari talk about this offense also, but he really didn't get in depth.
Anonymous
August 25, 2006 03:09PM
Coach Walberg is pretty good with sharing information, however I would not expect a video any time too soon. In clinic settings he gives you most of the nuts and bolts of what they do, but you never feel you are getting a lot of the little things that really make it work. From having watched his teams play many, many times, one reason they do so well is that they play alot harder then virtually any team i have ever seen. He is just a really good coach, I think he could run just about any offensive system and make it work. Their defensive also creates a lot of easy buckets with the all the turnovers it creates. They are a lot of fun to watch.
Anonymous
August 26, 2006 09:03AM
I am sure that there is more to the offense then just drive, kick, drive, kick and shoot.

SoCal Coach, It sounds like you have seen some of his teams play. Does he run 5 out? What actually does he do on offense? I always hear that his teams play great defense. What do they run?

I am a former JUCO coach and interested in how his system was run on the juco level.
Anonymous
August 28, 2006 08:21AM
Socal coach,

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.
Anonymous
August 27, 2006 12:05AM
The offense is run from a 4 out 1 in set. He puts his two best breakdown guards up top1on the right and five on the left, in his numbering system his 5 is basicallyanother point guard type player), and a shooter (2 on the right, 3 on the left) in each corner. the post (4 man) runs the floor to the left block opposite the ball. The point guard will kick the ball ahead for a three pointer to the 2 or 3 if they are open, or to the 4 for a layup if he is ahead of the pack. If no kick ahead pass is available the point will attack the 1-2 gap hard with the dribble, if 2's man helps, 1 will kick out to 2 for the shot if there is no help 1 will attack the basket and look to finish, or hit a quick bounce pass to the 4 on the left block if the 4's man helps defensively. The 1 will also attack the 1-5 gap on the dribble, and then read wehat the 5's man does defensively. Many timed the 5 will run a go-behind as the 1 hits the 5 gap, and get a good shot from the top of the key area. If the 1 blows through the 1-5 gap, he looks 3 on the spot up in the corner, or look for 4 who backdoors to the right block when he sees the ball being dribbled at him from up top.
On a 1-5 pass, the 1 will hit the 5 then cut to the ballside wing area on the left side. The 5 then has a huge area to attack with the dribble between him and the 2 man, they get a lot of points off the 5 attacking to his right after the 1 clears to the wing. They also hit a lot of backcuts with their rules that state if the ball is being driven in your gap, spot up at the 3 point line. However if the ball is being dribbled right at you, set up the back cut. Their floor spacing is extreme with the 1 and 5 probally 20 feet away from each other and high up on the floor , the 2 and 3 are pretty much even with the rim in the corners out at the 3 point line. On defense they basically or in a match up run and jump full court press that has a lot of basic guidelines, and not a lot of strict rules, kind of like the same way you run a true motion offense, his players learn to make the proper adjustments while on the run in his pressing system. One of this big rules in regard to his press is "see it and fix it", in other words you need to get to the area where the press needs help. He wants a Controller (on the Ball), A Gapper (plays the middle gap on the floor) A Reader (up the floor from the gapper he reads what the gap man does, if the gapper becomes a trapper with the controller, the reader needs to look to take away a near by receiver.) A Taker (takes away first man ahead of the ball up the floor on the ballside) and safety(protects the basket). He needs these positions filled at all times, if his players see one of these areas open, they sprint to that area and "fix the problem". THe pressure basically does not stop until they get the ball back. Their double team rule is, if the ballhandler has his back to you, and is dribbling, go double it. They really only double a man who is dribbling the basketball, they really do not go to double a player if he is not dribbling. They set up in this make or miss as a rule, it's pretty wild, and teams may score against it, but they are not running any of the offense's they have worked on for their entire season. Pepperdine will have some games in the late night Monday games on ESPN this year, so tape them, and start to break down their tapes. Give them a couple of years, they will be good, and very fun to watch.
Anonymous
August 28, 2006 10:59AM
I have a question. If the Rules are...

Rule: If Ball is driven in your gap… spot up at the 3 point line.

Rule: If Ball is being dribbled at you… execute the back cut

What is the rule as to when to execute the go-behind dribble hand-off ?

When ball is dribbled at you?
Ball dribbled at your gap?
Area?
Anytime you wish?
Only Wings?
Only High Elbow?

Thanks, Coach W
Anonymous
August 29, 2006 01:34PM
As a rule the hand-offs come out of a set call. For example you will say run a "12" which would a 1 to 2 hand off, or go behind. Or a "15" which would be a 1-5 handoff or go behind. We call "152" alot which is a 1-5 go behind then the 5 runs a go behind with the 2, we get our 2 a lot of shots out of our "152" call. On a go behind we like the initial ballhandler, for example the 1 on a "12" call to fill the area of the player he is getting the ball to. Many times after a 1 to 2 ball exchange on the go behind, if the 2 drives the ball with some aggressiveness, there is a tendency for both defenders to help on the ball, and it leaves the 1 wide open for a shot out of the right corner area where he fades to after the go behind with 2. For what its worth we have won 57 games the last 3 years running this system, in a very competive region, we had won 36 the previous three. I am sold that it will help your team reach it's potential. There is no magic offense or defense, but this sysem is very solid, and if your kids will bust their tails, it gives you a chance to stay competive with better people. Hope this helps.
Anonymous
August 29, 2006 03:34PM
I'm intrigued by your system and would love to learn more about your program. DIII head coach here looking to put in this type of system. If you could please email me at scott3048@yahoo.com. Thanks!
Anonymous
August 29, 2006 03:57PM
Socalcoach, i'm also intrigued with this system. My coach and I saw Calapari talk in San Antonio earlier this year and we are putting this system in right now. The notes that you have offered on this forum have been useful because coach Calapari didn't get too detailed. If you have anymore information or notes, could you email them to willisrsteward@hotmail.com.
Anonymous
August 29, 2006 04:07PM
Anybody with information about this offense please email me at willisrsteward@hotmail.com
Anonymous
August 30, 2006 02:00PM
Could someone tell me what happens if 2 drives in the 2-1 gap or if the 3 drives the 3-5 gap, do the two players just exchange with each other like you would do with the dribble handoff.
Anonymous
August 30, 2006 08:45PM
If the 2 has the ball, his first look is for the post coming hard to the strongside block. The 1, if he hits the 2 with a pass cuts to the weakside wing area, so you now have a two player post up game with the 2 and the 4. On the weakside of the floor you have 5 up high in the guard spot, 1 at the three point line, freethrow line extended, and the 3 is in the corner at the three point line. If 2 does not hit the post, he can look for the skip pass if the D is sagging, or put the ball on the ground and attack the elbow area with the dribble looking to kick it out for a three pointer if the weakside defenders help. The 2 man also has a go behind possibility with 5 coming from the top from the weakside guard area. I hope this helps. The rules would be the same if the 3 gets the ball, only now the 5 clears away, etc. Hope this helps.
Anonymous
August 30, 2006 09:58PM
SoCal Coach,

Could you please contact me at Coachp28@hotmail.

Thank you.
Anonymous
September 05, 2006 10:35PM
SoCalCoach- Thanks for the info, can you contact me at jay@wishconsulting.com as I have a couple of other break down questions.

Thanks

Coach Jay
Anonymous
September 09, 2006 08:52AM
Dear Socal,

I too would appreciate any additional information on the offense. If anyone has additional information please email me a [sbcglobal.net. Has anyone considered setting up a email group to share information on the Walberg system]
Anonymous
September 10, 2006 06:41PM
An email group would be a great idea...I have tried a similar offense and would love to hear more about this one...
If there is any info that could be sent to stanton33@verizon.net I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Anonymous
September 13, 2006 03:47PM
Coach Walberg's system is very similar to the system [b:ba827dc5bd]David Arseneault[/b:ba827dc5bd] runs at Grinnell College. You should take a look at his videos.

I've also heard that Championship Productions is trying to contact Coach Walberg about doing some videos.

Thanks,
coachwp
Anonymous
September 14, 2006 01:24AM
Syskos just came out with, and is now selling a Duane Silver booklet called the 4 out 1 in drive and kick offense. This is a pretty good booklet, about 20 pages, dealing with the Walberg system. It is not all inclusive, however it will help you get better insights into the system.
Anonymous
September 29, 2006 11:46AM
HEY COACH,
I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THE NOTES YOU HAVE ON THIS OFFENSE. PLEASE SEND TO coachb30@hotmail.com

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Anonymous
September 29, 2006 12:31PM
HEY COACH,
I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THE NOTES YOU HAVE ON THIS OFFENSE. PLEASE SEND TO coachb30@hotmail.com

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Anonymous
September 29, 2006 08:52PM
Dear Coach,

Would you please send me a copy of the Vance walberg Notes to kingfor3_12@sbcglobal.net[/url]

Thank you so much

Jamie King[/url]
Anonymous
October 09, 2006 12:48PM
Would you please send me a copy of the Vance walberg Notes to dmedders1@msn.com
Anonymous
October 11, 2006 02:59PM
Socal coach

Coach Walberg and Coach Calipari were at a coaching clinic last weekend in Denver but they did not go into allot of detail. The information you provided was very useful would you mind emailing me the rest of the information. rampartrams@hotmail.com
Thank you very much
Anonymous
October 11, 2006 03:15PM
[quote:032606ccb6="socalcoach"]As a rule the hand-offs come out of a set call. For example you will say run a "12" which would a 1 to 2 hand off, or go behind. Or a "15" which would be a 1-5 handoff or go behind. We call "152" alot which is a 1-5 go behind then the 5 runs a go behind with the 2, we get our 2 a lot of shots out of our "152" call. On a go behind we like the initial ballhandler, for example the 1 on a "12" call to fill the area of the player he is getting the ball to. Many times after a 1 to 2 ball exchange on the go behind, if the 2 drives the ball with some aggressiveness, there is a tendency for both defenders to help on the ball, and it leaves the 1 wide open for a shot out of the right corner area where he fades to after the go behind with 2. For what its worth we have won 57 games the last 3 years running this system, in a very competive region, we had won 36 the previous three. I am sold that it will help your team reach it's potential. There is no magic offense or defense, but this sysem is very solid, and if your kids will bust their tails, it gives you a chance to stay competive with better people. Hope this helps.[/quote:032606ccb6]
Anonymous
October 11, 2006 03:18PM
SoCal Coach,

Would you mind sending the Walberg offensive stuff to me at randall.david@comcast.net? Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
October 11, 2006 10:02PM
Hi Coach,

I would appreciate if you could send the offensive stuff to my email addr. wanlab@hotmail.com. Thanks very much.

Caoch SW
Anonymous
October 11, 2006 11:00PM
I have information on Walberg's offense at herb.welling@ops.org
Anonymous
October 12, 2006 11:14AM
Coaches,

I would apppreciate any information on the walbers offense. If anyone has any information please email me at spatterson@albanytech.edu.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 1 plus 15?