Anonymous
Vance Walberg's Offense - Memphis ran it last year...
October 12, 2006 11:51AM
Found this quote from Coach Walberg on the Pepperidne Web site giving a brief overview of his offense.

"Shoot, shoot and shoot some more. It's really very simple. What I do is I spread you out and we attack. I call it AASAA-Attack, Attack, Skip, Attack, Attack. Everybody gets a big plus out of it. It starts with the guards. The first thing I want them to do is come down and look to score. It's up to the guards to be able to break their man down. Once the breakdown process begins and whoever helps, that's where the kick goes. If we struggle, we reverse things and put it inside and it's time for the big guys to take over. It's very simple."

The Denver Post had a blurp today on how they are using his offense this year and they actually sent him a tape of their first exibition game to review and critique.
Anonymous
November 18, 2006 11:25PM
Why don't you guys just contact Coach Walberg yourself, that's what I did. I learned way more from going to his clinic then listening to Socal. I also just bought his booklet for next to nothing.

Coach Jay
Anonymous
October 13, 2006 07:54AM
On 'Real Training Camp' last night, they talked about that as well. Stating that he came to the Nuggets training camp for 3 days to work with the coaches on implementing the system.

If anyone has any info documented on this, I would really appreciate a copy gdoyle12@hotmail.com.

Thanks...
Anonymous
October 15, 2006 03:01PM
I am sorry but I have to disagree and say that what David Arseneault does at Grinnel with his offensive system is much different from what Walberg does. I have spent quite a bit of time watching practices, going to games, and re-watching practice tape to know that these two systems are very different. Walberg runs a very quick up-tempo system, with half-court balance. I do not have the insights into the numbered calls like socal does but I do have many of the sets he runs on video. It seems to me he also allows some freedoms within the rules of the offense if the numbered calls are not successful. There are a series of shooting drills and offensive movement drills that all fit the structure of the offense. The important aspect that Coach Cal did not embrace is that this is a complete system. The offense and defense are both critical for team success. This is what some people forget when they try to take certain aspects of the system for themselves. I used to focus just on the defense but I soon realized that the offense was very important also and what I was doing was not a compliment to what Walberg does. In its simplest form it could be called just a drive and kick offense, however it is much more than just that. It a very quick offense less than 10-15 seconds into the shot clock, designed to shoot the three, get into the key, or get fouled and go to the line.
Anonymous
October 16, 2006 01:50AM
Hi Cencalcoach,

What is the name of the tape you mentioned? Where can I purchase it?

Thanks,
Coach SW
Anonymous
October 17, 2006 08:47PM
A colleague and I recorded a couple of practice sessions which emphasized his offense, when he was at FCC. Coach Walberg is at Pepperdine this year and I believe you might be able to follow him somewhat through the website cstv.com. Not sure though. It would be worth checking into.
Anonymous
October 17, 2006 09:24PM
Just saw on the Pepperdine website that Coach Walberg is hosting a coaches clinic on Saturday October 21st.
Anonymous
October 31, 2006 12:13AM
Coaches,

I would apppreciate any information on the walbers offense. If anyone has any information please email me at sarmstrong@kcisd.net
Anonymous
October 31, 2006 09:32AM
I don't have a big man at all, we start five guards, any suggestions as to how to run walberg's system with out a post(5 out)?
Anonymous
November 13, 2006 06:49PM
cencal coach-

could you send a note to me at hsballcoach@yahoo.com? I'd very much like to see that tape and some of the drills you mentioned- we are a hs girls varsity team in atlanta, and have picked up some stuf, but mostly third hand...

thanks in advance,
Anonymous
November 13, 2006 10:07PM
SoCal-- Can you please send me any notes on Walberg's system at jmathis@saa-sds.org Any help would be greatly appreciated from any
one familiar with Walberg's system. Good luck this B-Ball season.

Thanks

Coach Mathis
Anonymous
November 14, 2006 02:24PM
SoCal or cencal: if either of you (or anyone) has notes or more information on Coach Walberg's system, I would certainly appreciate it as well. We are going to implement it this year and I would really like to know as much as possible. Email to nanticokehoops@att.net Thanks very much.
Anonymous
November 19, 2006 12:14PM
coach J what booklet are you talking about
Anonymous
November 23, 2006 11:00PM
[quote:709268e126="NABB"]SoCal or cencal: if either of you (or anyone) has notes or more information on Coach Walberg's system, I would certainly appreciate it as well. We are going to implement it this year and I would really like to know as much as possible. Email to nanticokehoops@att.net Thanks very much.[/quote:709268e126]

Basic set up is 4 out 1 in w/ the 5 opposite the ball at all times. I think what people miss is the speed of the cuts, fills, at attacks... Watch Memphis and they have tremendous athletes who are future pros... They don't need to go quite as hard to make it work. But the Pepperdine team works very hard filling, cutting, and attacking with the basketball... If you don't have top notch athletes, your guys have to move faster than in most offenses.
Anonymous
November 23, 2006 11:05PM
[quote:1c57e6201b="knights"]I don't have a big man at all, we start five guards, any suggestions as to how to run walberg's system with out a post(5 out)?[/quote:1c57e6201b]

Use your best "clean up" guy as your big. Either that or find a serviceable F somewhere on your roster. It's as important to start your 5 best as it is to have 4 good G's out there. Preferably for me 2 guys who can gap it, 1 who can really shoot it, and 1 pure athlete.
I have looked online all over for notes on this offense, nothing to specific just the principles of it and how it would be modified to face a 2-3 or 1-3-1 zone. If anyone has some pointers or even a place to find the info for myself please email me at Liam32323232@yahoo.com
DanMiller351
Re: Vance Walberg's Offense - Memphis ran it last year...
November 11, 2007 05:23PM
Please let me know if you would be willing to share any of your videos or information on the Walberg offensive series.

Sincerely,

Dan
Mike Maiurro
November 12, 2007 08:59AM
I am looking for additional information re: Walberg / Memphis State style offensive scheme - please respond to: moetown57@comcast.net

Thank you
DarylMiller388
November 14, 2007 02:14AM
G'day

As I am a coach in Australia I am unable to attend the clinics you are talking about.

There was a piece here on Sportscenter with John Calipari talking about this offense and it caught my attention.

Can any of you please help me with some coach's notes on this offense?

miller31@ozemail.com.au

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Daryl
How can I get a copy of his booklet or get in touch with him?

Jeff Winslow
jeff_winslow@huronhs.com
I am interested in receiving these notes. Could you send them to me as well.

Thanks,

Jeff
I recently purchased a DVD from [syskos.com] done by a coach from Omaha
Central. This team runs the dribble drive motion offense and their assistant coach does a pretty good job explaining the system in the DVD. I found it pretty interesting. Also, coachesclipboard.com has some interesting points from the dribble drive offense. Hopefully those help.
That Video WAS NOT GOOD FROM SYSKO! The guy was missing all kinds of drills and information! I was highly disappointed with the video!
Anonymous User Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently purchased a DVD from [syskos.com]
> done by a coach from Omaha
> Central. This team runs the dribble drive motion
> offense and their assistant coach does a pretty
> good job explaining the system in the DVD. I found
> it pretty interesting. Also, coachesclipboard.com
> has some interesting points from the dribble drive
> offense. Hopefully those help.
Coaches,

This article might help. There is also an animation showing player movement.

[www.coachesclipboard.net]

Hope this helps!
Dr. Jim Gels
The Coach's Clipboard
www.coachesclipboard.net
I know this offense is all the rage and certainly, it would be difficult to say that it hasn't had some success.

Philosophically, I don't like it because it I try to get players to be unselfish with the ball and there is too much emphasis on-one-on-one play. The "dish" part becomes problematic when you have players who are absolutely convinced that no one can guard them man-to-man, no matter what evidence you give them to the contrary.

When you get players who are only focused on breaking ankles, you get everyone else standing around and they lose all sense of offensive pace.

This is, to me, playground basketball on steroids. Sure, the kids like it. They all grew up wanting to be Michael or Kobe or A.I.

Everyone cries about how big guys don't know how to play with their back to the basket or that shooters can't hit 12 to 15 footers on a consistent basis. Well, guess what? This offense isn't going to change any of that
Hi,
Like everyone else I am switching my team from the UCLA offense to the Dribble Drive Offense. I am waiting the dvd's that I ordered from Sysko's website with a coach who has done a pretty good job breaking the offense down with drills. If anyone can give me more infor on this it would be great. I've run the UCLA this season with good success but am looking at a different and smaller team this year. I am coaching at the Jr. level in Ottawa , Canada. Thanks for anything that comes back.
Marc
www.coachlikeapro.com
October 17, 2008 04:12PM
Check out this new article at CoachLikeaPro.com about the dribble drive motion offense.

[www.coachlikeapro.com]
Randy Rick
October 14, 2009 10:51PM
I have some notes for you...
CoachQ
November 04, 2009 12:43PM
I would also like the notes that may be available on this system, thanks.

Urbancop@msn.com
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 6?