joecairo123
Follow the herd - Vance Wallenbergs offense
August 27, 2008 10:55PM
Man, oh man. EVERYBODY is tripping over themselves to run the dribble-drive offense in their programs. WHY?

I can't see it. I hate the idea of guys standing around waiting for the guards to break ankles going to the hole. I've never known a guard who didn't think that he was undefendable.

I also don't like a "screenless offense" because it makes other players non-factors. You stop the penetration, you stop the offense.

It's built on selfishness and Kobe-style ball hogging and I can't understand why every coach on the planet is stampeding to learn how to do it.

Just roll the ball out and let the playground artists take over the game. Baloney.

But, that's my two-bits. Tell me why I'm wrong.
Coach JS
Re: Follow the herd - Vance Wallenbergs offense
October 03, 2008 10:06AM
Actually when we have implemented it, we have had close to double the assists per game then in a traditional motion offense. I believe it gets all 5 players involved much more than anything we have tried before.
The M.O.
August 27, 2009 05:41PM
-------------------------------------------------------
Joe Cairo have no idea what the DDM is do you? It is innovative for a reason. It is wide open, allows players to make plays on the ball consistently and has drills that improve players at more considerable rates under game time conditions that standard offenses do. Like any other system the DDM has rules and guidelines for players to follow to secure equity. Screening is not a neccessity if you have players that can create off the dribble and read penetration. The dribble is the most dangerous weapon a player has, not the pass. That is how you move in the game, by dribbling. Fran Fraschilla of ESPN statd himself that the player that can dribble is the most dangeorus player to guard due to his/her ability to be able to break down the defnse. Sorry being a player that loves to create when I played I would rather play this system than any standard motion. You can actually play basketball in a relatively simple and effective fashion.
Anonymous User
October 10, 2009 01:36AM
I agree with the M.O., the dribble drive really develops players, and as JS says it's a great offense for having the whole team play together, with lots of assists.

The fact that it's a Dribble Drive offence doesn't mean you can't screen in the offence. On my blog I've outlines both inside screens and pick and rolls: The Dribble Drive Blog
CoachQ
November 17, 2009 02:02AM
I run something common to the dribble drive and my players love it. We averaged 114ppg in the pre-season with balanced scoring. All five on the floor are involved and have the okay to shoot the ball, as long as it's a shot within their range. I correct the bad shots in practice and we build as we go. I used some of the dribble drive principles, some 4/1 and some of Coach Donavan's pick and roll system all in one. Again, my players enjoy the style and play very unselfish, encouraging eachother to get better.
Anonymous User
April 22, 2010 09:36AM
The one thing that's missing from Walberg's Dribble Drive is the pick and roll, which I think is an essential part of ANY player's development.

Luckily coach Calipari has rectified this, and I've added more PnR options on my blog www.coachdribbledrive.com

As far as everybody just standing around, that's just not true. The dribble drive has been compared to the Princeton for a reason. There are so many reads that the players need, and all four perimeter players must be able to run all parts of the offense.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, solve the mathematical question and enter the answer in the input field below. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
Question: how much is 15 plus 23?