Find Your Escape: Defense Against Leg Riders
with Steve Garland, University of Virginia Head Coach;
2010 ACC Champions; 2010 ACC Coach of the Year;
All-American Wrestler at Virginia; 2000 ACC Wrestler of the Year; member of the 50th Anniversary ACC Wrestling Team
Many wrestlers today use a tough leg ride to score points and inflict pain. Former All-American and University of Virginia Head Coach Steve Garland works through a variety of methods to prevent their success.
He begins with techniques to stop opponents from getting their legs in, then progresses into what to do once they are in.
Garland's drills focus on the footwork needed to defend legs, and they create muscle memory making leg defense second nature. Wrestlers will become comfortable in these positions and develop the ability to bait their opponents into a false sense of confidence.
You will see specific situations such as the crackdown, crab rides, and options for elevators. You'll also see a way to force a fall once an opponent gets a leg in.
This is one of the most useful videos a coach or wrestler can own. Coach Garland's instruction shows how to be tough on the bottom and how to stop dominant leg-riders from riding and turning.
49 minutes. 2013.Leg Attack Defense
with Alex Clemsen, University of Virginia Assistant Coach;
All-American wrestler at Edinboro; 4x Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Champion
When a wrestler builds confidence on his feet, it makes him more aggressive on the mat. Former All-American Alex Clemsen teaches the basic principles that stop four primary leg attacks - Low Single, Single Leg, Hi-Crotch, and Double Leg. Coach Clemsen's fundamental defense techniques include:
- Getting back to the basics of a first line of defense on the feet
- Keeping opponents from getting to the legs
- Turning your opponent's attack into your own attack
- Scoring when your opponent attacks your legs
Fundamental baseline defense is key to successful wrestling. Coach Clemson's baseline defense includes:
- Perfecting the stance so opponent's can only attack one leg
- Closing distance effectively without opening up to an attack
- Matching levels with the opponent
- Down-blocking with force and spinning to score on opponent's shotsFinishing the down-block and spinning with a cradle to get the fallDown-blocking to a re-attack on even the best of opponents
Coach Clemsen's down-block series shows effective ways to score from the feet while getting attacked. He covers many different scenarios that work together to ensure a score no matter how the offensive man reacts.
Leg Attack Defense
In the second section of this video, Coach Clemsen addresses countering specific leg attacks. These counters include:
- Stopping single leg attacks and scoring off of their shot, even if they have a great grip
- Countering deep high crotch attacks, again scoring off of their shot
- Defending a low single leg and turn it into your attack
Not often can attacks be countered over and over again with success, but Coach Clemsen presents a series to help accomplish just that. It allows the defensive man to continue to score despite being under attack.
This video is designed for the new wrestler and the seasoned mat veteran alike. While Clemsen teaches these basic positions, he goes into great detail by working through all the little things that make the defense effective.
When you have confidence in your defense, you will be more comfortable opening up your offense!
54 minutes. 2013.
See all the items in this series!
See more products by: Alex Clemsen Steve Garland
See related products: Wrestling Digital Video Downloads Defense Steve Garland
Ratings & Reviews
to review this product!